Monday, April 27, 2009

NSBE VEGAS PT.2

What Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!

The title of my paper is the quote people generally use so they won't share there stories. I'm a nice guy and I don't like that so I'll give you a glimpse of what happened down there. I went there with the Tennessee Tech Chapter of NSBE which stands for National Society of Black Engineers for a National Convention. At the National Convention there was collegiate members, alumini, board members and PCI ( Pre-College Initiative). When we arrived at our hotel we unpacked and had a quick chapter meeting discussing what we were here for and what was expected of us as a chapter. The next day we had a Region III meeting. Region III covers schools in the southeast, so there is big schools like Georgia Tech and The University of Florida. After the meething there was the all-day long Career Fair, International Fair & Exhibition and several workshops.
That day I invested my time by going to workshops instead of “chilling.” I went to a workshop on keeping a 4.0 GPA and Networking vs. Not Working. The Networking vs. Not Working was my favorite workshop I taught networking skills and general business etiquette. I was given game day strategies for an interview or the career fair. In the skills I picked up there was the idea of a 30 second speech. When ever you meet someone you have 30 seconds to make a lasting impression. With a 30 second speech you will introduce yourself share about yourself and give the a lasting impression that will make them like you. I also made great friends there. I don't know if there is any other freshmen at Tech who could say there were given the same oppurtunity and say they learned from it.
Day 3 has arrived! The next day I woke up at 7:00 to attend the General Session. The executive Vice-President of Chevron-Texaco was there to speak. He gave a speech on his top 10 career successes. My favorite advice he gave was a quote by Mike Tyson. The quote is “ Everybody's gotta plan to lay a big hit. What that meant to me is that on the road to the top everyone will try to get you but you also have to be prepared for it and give it the best you got. I enjoyed listening to Charles James he is a very authentic guy. Later on that day I went to a nanotechnology workshop. It was discussing how nano technology is on the rise and the funding in nano-tech.
To sum it all up I would say the time spent there opened up my eyes to a whole new world of success. It was I learned a lot from the workshops, networked, made new friends, and became motivated to succeed in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment